Monday, February 27, 2017

Superman, the World's Mightiest in: the Test of a Warrior

     I haven't really read many of the classic DC Superman comics and this felt like a pretty casual comic to begin with. From what I hear from my friends and movies/shows/videos about the man of steel, I understood Superman as a selfless person who would go out of his way to help those who need it. Because I really only knew of Superman in the most modern context, it was cool to read of one of his tales of selflessness from back when comics were only 10 cents.
     
     Judging from the title, I expected something a bit more dramatic and grandiose, something that would've been challenging for even Superman himself. Looking back, I realize I might have thought this because of many contemporary superhero movies where there is always some incredibly powerful threat posed against the people who are supposed to fight it off. Instead, the comic was about Superman helping a Hun-Sha, a man in an Indian tribe, survive this Test that was rigged with traps by a someone else in the tribe. Were the contents of this comic dramatic back in this comic's time? I'd imagine so because technology wouldn't have been able to simulate what it can today, but in the scope of the power of Superman, at least as I know him, it seems like a rather minuscule task.

     Those were my thoughts on the story of this short comic -- I enjoyed it but it didn't seem very daunting or dangerous -- I didn't feel like there was a huge threat, although, relative to Hun-Sha, the threat was lethal. I appreciated the message that this comic sent, though, in that you should not plot against others if you do not want to have it come back and harm you. 

1 comment:

  1. These issues are very different from the Superman that we know today. This Superman is pretty cheesy and definitely over the top, but I am sure it was somewhat normal back in the late 1930's. Superman to this day is still considered selfless, though a lot has been more modernized; I find that he has become a bit dark which I think is a much needed change in today's society. Though there are times where I do miss the old Superman but he wouldn't make it in today's ever changing society.
    I think your thoughts on this issue are well executed and enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete