Saturday, February 25, 2017

Little Nemo in Slumberland - Winsor McCay

Being taken away by clowns to a land that you can only reach when you're asleep sounds like a nightmare. Sleeping Nemo, however, was "saved" by the rise of the sun.

Those were some weird first impressions I got of the short comic. Overall, though, the entire comic felt like it was a wild ride that was yanking me all over the place -- to a land with mushrooms, flying horses and kangaroos, and incredibly long-legged flamingos. Winsor McCay definitely did a great job at making this comic feel like a dream often does feel, at least for me whenever I happen to fully remember a dream -- random and quite peculiar.

Nemo's dream of appearing in the middle of an ocean with large creatures is the dream that stood out the most to me -- it was a nightmare. I began to feel bad for Nemo for constantly being pulled into this Slumberland where everything is unpredictable, which means that his enjoyment of this alternate realm could go either way. This, to me, made it seem like Slumberland defeated its own purpose occasionally, which was to provide an enjoyable dream while the victim was resting. I understand the need for some contrast in design of the story, but this event was counterintuitive to the impression that the term "Slumberland" gives me, and I think many other people well.

No comments:

Post a Comment