Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Maus -- Art Spiegalman

     The holocaust, being an event in time that we all learn about at some point in school, was certainly a catastrophic period of time. Everyone learns of the general details and Hitler's goals as well as seeing the time period from Anne Frank's perspective. It was a cool to see a different perspective of how the Holocaust affected someone's life.
    Vladek himself, as a character, is certainly someone who I'd not admire. Through the story, I saw that there was definitely some antithesis in behavior between Vladek and his son, and Vladek was on the bad side of the spectrum -- being an angry, bitter old man -- One who suffered through through the events of the Holocaust and maintained his own racist beliefs despite how racism impacted his own life. It's almost shameful that he behaves so stubbornly. Although this was his story, by the end I felt like I didn't really care about Vladek. I found that some of the other characters in his story were much easier to pity for, especially the ones who died. In particular, the portion of the comic when (forgive me, for I am bad with names) he gave his son to his friend's wife to watch after them until the killings were over but he, as well as the wife and the other kids she was watching, ending up killing themselves to prevent being captured by Hitler's troops. This event in particular struck a chord with me as it created this sense of great despair -- the sense that I was close to being able to witness a family of completely innocent people survive the kills and then be taken out on a whim suddenly. 
     Overall, however, I didn't very much enjoy our main character's too much because they themselves did not have much substance in my opinion. Consistently being dragged out of the story and in to the comic's present day felt like a constant ruin of immersion even though they both took place within the same comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment