Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien


     The Hero's adventure is one of various treacherous trials and tribulations and our Hero Bilbo creates a very great example of what a great hero's journey is like. 
     Considering what his life was like before he embarked on his journey, seeing Bilbo become what even he thought he couldn't become was incredibly gratifying. In my view, I've always seen dwarves as hardened tiny adult humans who take on various hobbies like blacksmithing and armor crafting. This took my on a journey through not only Bilbo's experiences, but through my own ideas of how much a dwarf can be.
     Bilbo seems to have somewhat "awakened," for lack of a better term, into what I previously considered to be the dwarven culture, particularly in reference to his encounter with the beloved Gollum. Not only did I feel that this encounter was terrifying, as the idea of being eaten alive does not bode well with me, or anyone else that I know for that matter, but it also showed me that dwarves are much more than meets the eye in terms of cunning. In such a short span of time, I was able to witness an experience that would change anyone for a lifetime, let alone Bilbo. Although this isn't the most treacherous part of his journey, I considered it to be a very important one. Not only because of the rapid character development, but because of how Bilbo was related to the issue at hand: He was all alone, having stumbled upon a ring, and came across a creature who saw him as a meal. Unlike having the issue of a dragon burning down the whole town, immediately effecting those around you, seeing a single character, our hero, go through a dilemma that would yield long term consequences is an interesting concept to consider. Without Bilbo, from his meeting with Gollum and onward, the other dwarves that would have needed him may not have succeeded in their quest. Seeing one small event, Bilbo accidentally stumbling upon the ring, ripple into a butterfly effect of results I feel is important within a story. It makes everything that happens onward feel like it happened for a reason, which solidifies the world that these events take place in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment