Monday, November 14, 2016

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

     I've heard / listened to a few stories of the stereotypical hacker who has been somehow dragged into some very strenuous adventures. I believe Snow Crash is one of the more interesting tellings of this tale. Following the experiences of Hiro constantly kept me on edge, from beginning to end, which made me enjoy the book quite a bit. 
     In this world that Hiro lives in, a world that is much more technologically connected than we are, even today, I feel I can almost say it gave me insight as to what could be in store for technological advancements as they surface. The most terrifying thing that feels very possible would be the transfer of viruses from data to humans, as in the possibility of sharing a fate with Da5id. Considering the amount of DNA information that can be manipulated by computers nowadays, corrupting someone's system seems incredibly probable and may even be somehow incorporated into heinous activities once its uses are fully realized, if they get that far. 
     Ultimately, though, the reality the Snow Crash takes place in, I felt, seemed quite distant, despite the rapid technological advancements previously mentioned. Much of the chaos that has ensued within the book, I believe, would have, or at least should have, been considered as a potential threat. Although, I do understand that it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to take into consideration all negative side effects of creating a system that can give its owner so much power, I think many of these issues would have been prevented by the people like Hiro who would definitely exist within the time period these events may take place in.

No comments:

Post a Comment